Thursday, June 02, 2005

Happy Pride Month

What the hell is pride month? I don't need a month to wear a coat made from a flag of many colors. I carry my beliefs openly and honestly every day of the year. And frankly, I am quite turned off by most of the celebrations and parades - especially now that the whole month seems to be an ad for Budweiser or some similarly-shitty beer to pump their product down our throats. Sexy, perhaps - but for a month? I understand the need to keep our issues alive and in the forefront of our community - and America at large - but a month of this stuff is silly.

The parades are generally held on the last weekend, and now that I'm well into my 30's, I get bored by seeing most of the actual parade.

I go to see the politicians who have the guts to march with the lesbians and gays. I hate the politicians who send their entourage - or worse, the handful of homeless-looking protesters who are marching with the signs and paraphernalia of their favorite politician.

I go to see the police, firefighter and veterans support groups. I want to see the groups from PFLAG, Lambda Legal and the other social and legal groups. I love seeing the churches that march. I'm claiming ignorance: do groups such as these hold events during the month, or is the entire month used for planning their parade get-ups?

See what I'm saying? I'd appreciate a month-long appreciation if it were more than drink specials.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home